Attack kills 30 soldiers from Niger and two from Nigeria on countries' border near city of Bossa, Niger officials say.
Thirty soldiers from Niger and two Nigerian troops were killed in a Boko Haram attack on Niger's border with Nigeria, Niger's defence ministry said.
"On Friday, hundreds of assailants of Boko Haram attacked" the position of the army of Bosso, the ministry said in a statement on Saturday.
"The counter-offensive conducted early this morning helped to retake control of all the positions in the city of Bosso. The situation is under control", it added.
Since February 2015, Niger has been plagued by Boko Haram attacks in its southeast region.
The armed group frequently stages cross-border raids from their stronghold in neighbouring Nigeria.
The war between Boko Haram and the Nigerian government has left at least 20,000 people dead in six years and made more than 2.6 million homeless.
The Lake Chad region - which borders Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon and Niger - has been frequently targeted by Boko Haram and all four countries have formed a coalition along with Benin to fight the group.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Protests after Anaheim policeman drags teen, fires gun
- Democrats invite immigrants to Trump's Congress speech
- UN decries Israel's West Bank demolition order
- New earth-like exoplanets discovery 'best bet' for life
- Philippine court orders arrest of senator Leila de Lima
- Amnesty: Toxic fear mongering pushing back human rights
- Calls for calm ahead of anti-migrant Pretoria rally
- UN: $4.4bn needed to prevent 'catastrophe' of famine
- Nigerians in S Africa 'living in fear' after attacks
- UN demands action as famine looms in three countries
- Suicide bombers die in failed attack in Nigeria
- Muhammadu Buhari extends medical leave in UK
|Liaquat Ali Khan|