Monday, September 24, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Malaysia halts $22 billion China-backed deals

Projects were suspended to target Malaysia's estimated $250 billion national debt and other liabilities.

former PM Najib Razak

Malaysia on Thursday suspended three major China-backed projects worth billions of dollars, the latest big-ticket items to be axed by the new government as it reviews deals signed by former Prime Minister Najib Razak.

Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng said he had ordered the suspension of two pipeline deals and a 688-kilometre (430-mile) rail link worth a combined 90.4 billion ringgit ($22.35 billion).

The pipeline projects had been awarded to China Petroleum Pipeline Bureau, while the China Communications Construction Company served as the main contractor for the East Coast Rail Link.

Lim said Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad had ordered the suspensions in a bid to target Malaysia's estimated $250 billion national debt and other liabilities.

"The decisions are solely directed towards the related contractors relating to the provisions mentioned in the agreements, and not at any particular country," Lim said, in an apparent attempt to allay concerns that China was being singled out.

The deals were among several Beijing-backed projects signed by Najib, who was unseated by his former mentor Mahathir in elections last May.

Malaysia's previous government under Najib had warm ties with China and signed a string of deals for Beijing-funded projects.

But critics say many agreements lacked transparency, fuelling suspicions they were struck in exchange for help in paying off debts from the 1MDB financial scandal which ultimately helped bring down Najib's regime.

Mahathir, 92, has pledged to review Chinese deals seen as dubious, calling into question Malaysia's status as one of Beijing's most cooperative partners in its regional infrastructure push.

In May, he postponed plans to build a high-speed rail link between Singapore and Malaysia, which had been agreed on several years ago, saying it was expensive.

Song Seng Wun, a regional economist with CIMB Private Banking, said the latest suspensions could prompt some investors to hold back.

"Anyone with any activities related to the previous administration itself will be lying low," Wun told AFP.

"They wouldn't be starting any new projects because they might not be sure that their existing project or contracts might (not) come under review," he added.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Discontent brews in India over Modi...

Read More

Nigeria suspends relaunch of nation...

Read More

US slaps tariffs on $200bn of China...

Read More

Iran OPEC chief: 'Saudi and Russia ...

Read More

Trump wants $200bn in tariffs on Ch...

Read More

Erdogan says Turkey came under 'eco...

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Israel pounds Gaza

India's Kerala state devastated

Capturing life under apartheid