Tuesday, August 22, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Deadly fire rips through Ukrainian home for elderly

At least 17 killed after blaze tears through makeshift shelter for the elderly in capital Kiev, emergency officials say.

Ukrainian rescuers

At least 17 people died when a makeshift home for elderly people outside the Ukrainian capital, Kiev, caught fire in the early hours on Sunday, the latest tragedy to shake the conflict-riven country.

The fire tore through the two-storey shelter for the elderly which is in the village of Litochky, located some 50km north of Kiev.

"The bodies of 17 people have been found at the site of the fire," the head of Ukraine's state emergencies service, Mykola Chechotkin, said in comments released by his office on Sunday.

"The fire broke out at a privately-owned house," he told reporters, saying the shelter for the elderly had been set up in violation of existing legislation.

Citing preliminary information, the service said that 35 people were at the home when the fire broke out.

Eighteen people have been rescued and five of them have been admitted to hospital, said the service, adding that the blaze had been extinguished by Sunday morning.

The emergency services said in a statement that more than 150 people worked to rescue the residents and put out the fire, which began shortly before 4 am local time.

It was not immediately clear what caused the blaze but according to one version it might have been sparked by an exploding TV set.

National television channels, reporting from the scene, said that the street where the shelter was located was now cordoned off by the police.

Most vulnerable

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has been notified of the blaze, the government said in a statement, adding that Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman had tasked officials with creating a special commission to look into the incident.

Groysman expressed condolences to the families of those who had perished in the "terrible tragedy," the government said in a statement.

First deputy head of national police, Vadym Troyan, said in televised remarks that a man who had organised the temporary shelter had already been detained.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Serbia withdraws embassy staff from Macedonia

Read More

Anatoly Antonov named new Russian ambassador to US

Read More

Barcelona attack suspect Younes Abouyaaqoub shot dead

Read More

Spain names Barcelona attack suspect, expands manhunt

Read More

UK: Palestine activists face prison over Elbit protest

Read More

Berlin police arrest 35 neo-Nazis at Rudolf Hess rally

Read More

Global_News

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Sierra Leone mudslides

'Unite the Right' rally