State TV says several people killed and injured in explosion that took place as people were leaving afternoon prayers.
A deadly bomb blast struck near a mosque in the Syrian coastal city of Latakia, state TV has reported.
Thursday's explosion took place as people were leaving the Khulafa Rashideen mosque following afternoon prayers.
State TV said the blast killed and wounded several people, but did not give any numbers. Official news agency SANA said a motorcycle bomb was behind the attack.
The coastal provinces of Latakia and Tartus have been government strongholds since the country's conflict began in 2011.
A string of car bombs and suicide attacks in Latakia and the nearby city of Jableh late last month killed at least 148 people.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) group claimed the attacks that hit a hospital entrance, a bus station and other places.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Turkey ends 'Euphrates Shield' operation in Syria
- UN: Number of Syrian refugees passes five million
- Syria: 40,000 displaced as fighting rages near Hama
- US-backed Syria forces resume fighting near Tabqa dam
- US-backed forces 'capture' Tabqa airbase from ISIL
- US-backed Syria forces pause operations near Tabqa dam
|Allen L. Jasson|
|Liaquat Ali Khan|