Military spokesman says 25-year-old woman had a knife and tried to stab a soldier at a West Bank checkpoint.
Israeli forces have shot and killed a Palestinian woman whom they accused of attempting to stab a soldier at a military checkpoint in the northern occupied West Bank.
Ansar Hussam Harasha, a 25-year-old mother of two, was killed by soldiers in Tulkarem governorate near the Palestinian village of Anabta, the Palestinian Ma'an news agency reported.
An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma'an that that no Israelis were injured.
Peter Lerner, a military spokesman, posted on Twitter that Harasha had a knife and "tried to stab" a soldier.
"Forces responded to threat and shot the attacker, resulting in her death," he wrote.
The Palestinian health ministry confirmed the shooting to Ma'an.
The Israeli army has been accused of using excessive force in dealing with alleged attacks by Palestinians.
Since October 1, Israeli forces or settlers have killed 200 Palestinians, including unarmed demonstrators, bystanders and attackers.
Meanwhile, Palestinian attackers have killed at least 28 Israelis, mostly in stabbing attacks.
Palestinians are frustrated by Israel's 48-year occupation and with peace talks going nowhere.
The latest cycle of violence began with a dispute over access to the site of the al-Aqsa Mosque - sacred to both Jews and Muslims.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Westminster attack: Death toll rises to five
- North Korea 'tests new high-thrust rocket engine'
- FBI: No information to support Trump wiretap claim
- Trump administration to host first anti-ISIL meeting
- London police: Eight arrests over Westminster attack
- Clashes in Syria's Damascus after surprise rebel attack
- Israel arrests suspect behind US-Jewish bomb threats
- Israel built 2,630 illegal homes in West Bank last year
- Palestinian teen killed by Israeli fire in Gaza
- Israel: 2016 killing of Hezbollah commander inside job
- UN report decries Israeli settlements' 'alarming pace'
- Israeli coalition crisis raises threat of snap polls
|Syed Kamal Hussain Shah|