Mohammed al-Ghabban tenders his resignation after a suicide attack left more than 200 people dead.
The Iraqi interior minister has offered to resign after a massive suicide bombing in Baghdad earlier this week killed more than 200 people.
Mohammed al-Ghabban handed authority on Tuesday over to his deputy, until Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi makes a decision on who will become the next interior minister.
A devastating bombing on Sunday in Karada, a predominantly Shia neighbourhood in central Baghdad, hit a crowded marketplace. Many of the victims were women and children.
The bombing was claimed by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS).
Later on Sunday, protesters marched from Karada to Abadi’s home.
Many Iraqis blame their political leadership for lapses in security in Baghdad that have allowed large amounts of explosives to make their way past multiple checkpoints and into neighbourhoods packed with civilians.
"All the politicians in Iraq are responsible for these blasts, including Abadi," a woman in Karada told local media on Sunday.
"We can't enjoy the Eid; if it isn't ISIL, it's al-Qaeda, and if it isn't the two, it's the filthy corrupt politics in this country.
"We are being targeted while they are sitting safe and sound in their palaces. They are the ones who are allowing ISIL to come here and murder people."
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Protests after Anaheim policeman drags teen, fires gun
- UN decries Israel's West Bank demolition order
- New earth-like exoplanets discovery 'best bet' for life
- Amnesty: Toxic fear mongering pushing back human rights
- Calls for calm ahead of anti-migrant Pretoria rally
- Philippine court orders arrest of senator Leila de Lima
- Army claims gains in fight for western Mosul
- Iraqi forces take control of Mosul Airport
- Troops advance towards Ghazlani base near Mosul airport
- Troops advance on western Mosul as Mattis holds talks
- Defence secretary Jim Mattis: Not in Iraq to seize oil
- Iraqi forces push into ISIL-held southern Mosul
|Liaquat Ali Khan|