Iyad Hamed, a 38-year-old Palestinian man, shot dead as he reportedly ran towards an army post in occupied West Bank.
A Palestinian man has been shot dead by Israeli forces near the town of Silwad in the occupied West Bank, local media have said.
Iyad Hamed, a 38-year-old father of three, was shot dead early on Friday as he reportedly ran towards a military post near the western entrance of Silwad.
Initial reports from Israeli media said the suspect had opened fire from inside a vehicle, and that a woman might have been inside the car with him.
However the local Maan news agency quoted an Israeli spokesperson as saying that the suspect was killed while "running towards an [army] post".
Silwad, close to the Jewish settlement of Ofra, is the scene of regular clashes between Palestinians and Israeli armed forces.
Since October 2015, Israeli troops and settlers have killed up to 223 Palestinians, including unarmed demonstrators, bystanders and attackers.
During the same period, Palestinian attackers killed at least 35 Israelis in stabbing, shooting and car-ramming attacks.
Human rights groups have accused Israeli forces of unlawful killings and using lethal force in situations where non-lethal measures would have been appropriate.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Protests after Anaheim policeman drags teen, fires gun
- UN decries Israel's West Bank demolition order
- New earth-like exoplanets discovery 'best bet' for life
- Amnesty: Toxic fear mongering pushing back human rights
- Calls for calm ahead of anti-migrant Pretoria rally
- Philippine court orders arrest of senator Leila de Lima
|Liaquat Ali Khan|