Monday, December 17, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Saudi Arabia arrests man over 'offensive' breakfast with woman

Egyptian man charged with failing to abide by gender laws after video showing him being fed bread by a woman goes viral.

Authorities in Saudi Arabia have arrested an Egyptian man for appearing in what they have described as an "offensive" video after he was filmed being fed breakfast by a female colleague.

In the 30-second video that sparked outrage in the Gulf kingdom, the pair were seen laughing and joking at a hotel desk in the city of Jeddah before the woman appeared to feed the man some bread.

After the video went viral on Sunday, local media reported that an Egyptian national was arrested and charged with failing to adhere to government regulations that stipulate a gender-segregated workplace.

"The labour ministry arrested an expatriate in Jeddah after he appeared in an offensive video," the ministry said.

The US government-funded Alhurra TV network later reported that the man could face charges of sexual harassment in the workplace and up to five years in prison.

Acting upon the orders of the authorities, police in Jeddah also questioned the woman who appeared in the video, according to Saudi newspaper al-Riyadh.

Saudi Arabia enforces strict segregation between the sexes in public areas, places of work and restaurants.

Men and women who are not married or close relations must sit separately from each other.

After the video went viral and sparked a torrent of criticism from conservatives, thousands of social media users took to Twitter to defend the Egyptian man, with the Arabic hashtag Egyptian having breakfast with a Saudi woman becoming a trending topic in the kingdom.

Saudi Twitter user Yahya's tongue-in-cheek comment said:

Translation: Why are you judging them harshly, they're just "co-workers".

Twitter user Ghanem alMasarir said:

Translation: He [The Egyptian man] was punished, while the Al Saud princes who embrace women and spend money looted from the people go unpunished.

Meanwhile, Saudi Twitter user Abdullah al-Shahrani accused Qatar and the Muslim Brotherhood of being behind the spread of the video.

The incident comes as Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been seeking to project his government as a reformist.

Earlier this year he ended a decades-long ban on women driving and allowed women to attend concerts and football matches.

Rights groups have welcomed some of the decisions but called for more comprehensive changes to the kingdom's "guardianship" system", which Human Rights Watch describes as the main obstacle to realising women's rights.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Israeli air raids kill five Palesti...

Read More

Fierce fighting 'eases' in Hodeidah...

Read More

Saudis discussed killing enemies a ...

Read More

Khashoggi killing: Demand for justi...

Read More

Israel kills seven Palestinians in ...

Read More

UK calls for end to Yemen war, Khas...

Read More

Most Read Articles

Most Read News

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Israel pounds Gaza

India's Kerala state devastated

Capturing life under apartheid